Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Coins are valuable!

When I first got here I didn't understand how important coins were. They are good for all kinds of things like buses, subways and not making the vendors mad. There is like a coin shortage here. Someone is stealing all the coins! I would kill for a peso coin right now. It makes life so much more enjoyable when you have a pocket full of coins here. It's like Christmas morning when the vendor sees you have perfect change. Or when you can quickly pay for your bus/subway trip across town. When I first got here I had a dish full of coins because I would just pay with bills and decline giving the vendors perfect change. I don't go to that store anymore. My maid must have thought I was super rich with all the coins I had. Now I try to help out the vendors because I know they struggle to keep enough change. I was wrong to think however that my supply was endless and now all I have is about twenty of the 10 centavos coins left! Literally people will steal change from tables at restaurants and leave more money in bill form instead.
I can write about mafias, supermarkets and political corruption here if you want. Or at least what I have heard about them in my next post. If anyone is interested comment because I don't want to type unless there is a demand for it. Sorry for the coin rant but I think it's weird and I want to know where they are all going!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, please do write about the mafia. I am in withdrawal since "The Sopranos" went off the air, and the real thing will be even better to read!

    Do you think that coins are being hoarded because they are metal-and they retain value versus paper that is meaningless when not backed? Can you go to a bank and ask for coins? This is interesting! Coins somewhat irritate me here because they take up so much space...I dump them out of my wallet and pockets each day into a jar that I take to the bank once every few months - it's amazing how quickly change adds up to "real" money!

    Are there a lot of other poker players in BA? It's a pretty cool way of meeting people - I can't believe that you are able to make a living that way!

    Did you move to your new apartment already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is that maid thing going? Does she do a good job?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jon, By reading, things are great for you. Can't wait to read more. Carol

    ReplyDelete