Saturday, June 27, 2009

Tacos

Sorry for not blogging this week. I know I have been disappointing all 7 of my followers. Thanks guys for following! Maybe I have a future in blogging. I really haven't done anything too interesting this past week, mostly just studying and watching Spanish television. I went out last night and met some friends at a Mexican restaurant. We ate tacos and got a bucket of coronas on ice. Mostly we spent our time talking about how intimidating this country is when you get here. Most of it is the language barrier and people speak super fast here. Most of the time I just make an educated guess and say "si." Obviously hilarity ensues when I do the exact opposite of what someone just told me. It's not funny at the time but later it is when you tell another foreigner and they say "oh haha I did the same thing." Also going to a store or restaurant is way different because of the zero customer service. Literally it's like spending your money at their store is a huge burden on them. Oh and don't even think about making someone make change for your hundred. There are a bunch more little annoyances but I'll save them for later.

I have been here almost a month but I feel like I don't even know what Argentina looks like. I think I am set on taking a trip to the Andes next month. I think I am gonna take an overnight bus to Bariloche. Someone was telling me last night they have big reclining chairs to sleep in. I figure it cant be much worse than my noisy apartment.

Here is a picture of the subway I take to my Spanish class. I think they still use the same ones from 1913 on Line A. They are never this clean though, and it's usually packed full of people. I am going to try and bring my camera out from now on so I can take some pictures for you guys.
Oh and please post me some feedback or ask me some questions!

2 comments:

  1. Wait until Kate and I come - we want to go to Uruguay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jon - that subway car looks pretty cool actually! So, here are a few questions for you:

    * How long do you plan to be in Argentina? Is your goal to travel to lots of places or to set up there for a while?
    * Have you done any walking tours? I looked to see if Rick Steves had any books on Argentina, but I didn't see any on Amazon. There were a few that looked good, though. It would be fun to spend a few days just touring around at the historic sites.
    * What made you pick Argentina - was it the girls with the bangs? ;)
    * What do you miss most about the States? (I missed skim milk the most when I was in Europe for 6 weeks!)


    That's all for now - keep up the blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete