Thursday, June 18, 2009

Yesterday and Today

I am getting a lot more comfortable here. Basic things that were difficult when I first got here like ordering at a restaurant or buying credit for my cell phone are now routine. I am actually starting to get used to the jackhammers too. They drown out the noise from the 30 year old buses that come by every minute. My friend told me last night that public busing was invented here. Not sure how true it is but everyone loves taking the bus and there is a ton of them. I hate them they are old and loud.
Yesterday had a spanish lesson then went walking on Santa Fe Avenue. Found a nice big grocery store and bought some pre-packed steaks and some American food. Hooray! I love that grocery store. I am done going to the little Asian run supermarkets. After that I went and finally bought some earplugs at the pharmacy. When I found them I kinda went nuts and bought three pairs in two different styles. I really am pleased with them but I don't know how I am gonna wake up anymore for my spanish lessons. The ones I like best are the orange kind that people who work at the airport use. Very quiet!
Went out for a little bit last night in Plaza Cerrano with Gerry. Going out here is a little bit different becuase the bars are open 24 hours a day. It's pretty rare that anyone goes out before midnight and they stay out very late too. Everyone likes doing things late here. Dinner is commonly at 10 or even later. Anyway, we got to the bar at about 12:30. Watched a funny show at the first bar involving a transvestite and audience members dancing. Luckily we flew under the radar and did not have to do anything. Phew!! After the show the place turned into a dance club and we didn't feel much like dancing so we went to a little less crazy of a place. Not much happened after that, just a couple beers and I went home around 3 for a nice sleep with my new earplugs.
Today I went to buy some credit for my cell phone and dropped off my clothes at the washing place. It's nice not having to do your own laundry. I could have it delivered but my Spanish isn't quite up to par. I think I am getting a lot better though. I did some of my 40 pages of homework I have to do today. My tutor is pretty big on homework obviously. I'm planning on just vegging out tonight with a big steak and some broccoli or something. Tomorrow night I'm meeting some other Americans who are new here at a nice restaurant. Hopefully that will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment